The YWCA has always been in the business of helping women and girls develop their skills, abilities and self-esteem.
We hold workshops where women and teenage girls come together to listen to expert speakers, to share their experiences and to learn from each other.
We explore many of the issues that women face in their daily lives, subjects that can make a difference in how women succeed and manage their personal, family and professional lives.
• Finances: getting a loan, buying a house, overcoming a bad credit history
• Domestic violence: where to get help, self-defense, developing healthy relationships.
• Work: how to look for and find a job, résumé and interview preparation.
• Computer skills: buying a computer, software packages, basic skills.
• Substance abuse: what it is, how to recognize it, how to get help.
We also sponsor regular women’s support group meetings, where women can talk about the issues that matter to them: relationships, family, children. This is an open, supportive environment for women to ask questions and explore answers.
Women’s programs are offered in Antioch, Bay Point, Martinez, Richmond and Sacramento.
Meetings are held in the evening and are two hours long. Childcare is provided and many programs are held in both Spanish and English.